What Temperature to Set the Thermostat at Night Depends on the Winter Low. Programmable Thermostat is the Answer.


How low you should set your thermostat in the winter depends upon your own situation. If you have very young children or a baby, you probably shouldn't go any lower than 64F. If you have laminate flooring, most recommend not to go below 62F. If you have an irritable wife, I wouldn't go below her comfort level...just kidding.
In our house, I set the thermostat temperature to 63F at night and the furnace rarely kicks on until morning (when the programmable thermostat goes to 67F). In the winter, I like it cold at night and have a hard time sleeping if it is warmer than normal. I like to cover up with a blanket and a comforter so I feel as snug as a bug in a rug. No electric blanket needed for me, just the lower energy bill makes me happy.